Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Happy 70th Birthday, Bob Dylan


Ah, but I was so much older then/
I'm younger than that now.

Forever young?

On this august occasion I am reminded of Paul Simon's "A Simple Desultory Philippic(Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd into Submission):"

I knew a man, his brain was so small,
He couldn't think of nothing at all.
He's not the same as you and me.
He doesn't dig poetry. He's so unhip that
When you say Dylan, he thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas,
Whoever he was.
The man ain't got no culture,
But it's alright, ma,
Everybody must get stoned.

But it's the unhip Dylan Thomas reference that seems particularly appropriate:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

No comments: